Quality and safety
The reliability of a locomotive or freight wagon is important to guarantee high-quality and sound transport. If a load cannot be taken to its destination or only after a delay due to damage, this will not just mean high costs but also quite some dissatisfaction.
Railway undertakings and wagon keepers can prevent accidents and unforeseen repairs through planned preventive services.
The standards that apply to the maintenance of wagons, locomotives, and sets of wheels emphasise operational safety and occupational health and safety.
RSN meets various European and national regulations and quality standards.
- ISO 9001: We standardise our quality management system and make the effectiveness of our business measurable and controllable in accordance with this international quality standard. We, for example, focus on the management of our people and equipment and standardisation consultation, audits, checks, and monitoring.
- Entity in Charge of Maintenance (ECM function 4): RSN is certified for the performance of maintenance on freight wagons including tank wagons.
- VERS (VPI-EMG): Our certificate covers working on freight and tank wagons, small overhauls, and working on wheelsets up to and including level IS2 (includes IS1 and IL).
- GCU (General Contract of Use): This standard is an agreement between railway undertakings and wagon keepers and regulates repairs to freight wagons that are being managed at that moment in time by the railway undertaking. Work that is permitted within this framework is performed based on the GCU. Larger repairs, in turn, must take place in accordance with the VPI-EMG rules.
- SCC* Safety: We have a safety officer. Risks and accidents are analysed and we provide the required safety training, medical exams, and PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
- EN15085-2 Railway applications - Welding of railway vehicles and components - Part 2: Requirements for welding manufacturer: We have previously performed smaller welding work to, for example, wagons, but also meet the VERS standard for welding work on manganese plates of the axle boxes of the sets of wheels. Our welders have the correct certificates, our welding procedures are extensively described and we regularly carry out checks on the delivered work.
- NDT Railway/DIN 27201-7: Important requirement for tracing cracks in metal parts such as wheelsets. Our non-destructive testing (NDT) engineers have the correct certificates; our equipment and work instructions also comply with this standard.